I invite you to come on my journey as I develop my vegan dietary lifestyle.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

BREAKFAST SOUP

Late posting from Monday.  I like checking into Vegan Epicurean and I noted that she enjoys a savoury oatmeal for breakfast (love her blog, she's so creative, she makes me think out of the box).
I recently saw a show about ramen in Japan( they eat it all the time). They even have masters of the ramen soup. It is a broth with various seasonings, vegetables that may or may not include meat.
I had a craving for savoury one morning. Voila, my breakfast soup. I don't know if this would be considered a ramen soup, but it works for me.


It's not really a recipe as you throw in what you want.
I started with vegan broth(vegetable, chiken, beef,  mushroom). Added soba noodles when the broth came to a boil, I threw in some broccoli rabe. For the last 3 minutes the noodles cooked I tossed in some sliced seitan. When done I poured it over lots of baby spinach, topped with sliced green onion.
It was very filling.


Although it was only -13 degrees Celsius the sun was out, the skies were blue, I went for a refreshing 20 minute walk. I felt like a little kid, I was so bundled up. But it felt good to be outside. It reminded me when I lived in Thompson, Manitoba back in the '70s. Mind you at -13C, this would be a mild day up there.

Supper ingredients.




For supper, hubby was wanting a stir fry. I cut up a lot of onions, celery, carrots, green pepper and red pepper. A small can of crushed pineapple, a can each of bamboo shoots and sliced water chestnuts. Cooked/steamed with pre-made sauce and non-meat "chicken" strips. Served over some brown Basmati rice.
Hubby liked and ate the whole thing. Didn't have the heart to tell him there was no meat in it. He can be a picky eater. It was a good veggie filled meal in spite of the sweetness.
I"ll definitely try this again.

No comments: