I invite you to come on my journey as I develop my vegan dietary lifestyle.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Save a Turkey - Chickpea “Turkey” Burgers or Roast

With the Canadian Thanksgiving just around the corner my thoughts are turning to the aromas associated with the Thanksgiving dinner.
We will be doing the O'Shaving's arts and craft show over the weekend, so I'm not obligated to cooking any large meals. But I still wanted to experience the Thanksgiving flavours.
The "Black Bean Burger" Recipe of the other day inspired me to change things up .
While these Burgers or Roasts are cooking the house fills with the most wonderful smell. I was able to get some photos this time before my camera finally gave out.
Here is the Thanksgiving inspired recipe.


Chickpea “Turkey” Burgers or Roast
Wet Ingredients:
2 - 540 ml/19 fl oz chickpeas-rinsed and drained
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
2 ½ cups water
1 vegan “chicken” flavoured boullion cube
1 cup finely chopped onion
Dry Ingredients:
3 cups Panko crumbs
1 cup flour
½ cup gluten flour
2 Tablespoons of herbes de provence
1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning
olive oil
INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Boil water and dissolve the boullion cube, then add oatmeal and simmer  15 minutes or until nice and thick. Stir frequently. Pour into measuring cup-you need 3 cups total, add water to make volume if needed.
2. In a food processor put the chickpeas then add the cooked oatmeal. Puree  together.
3. In a mixing bowl put panko crumbs , gluten flour, flour, herbs and spices.
4. Add chickpea puree, mix together. Then add onion. Mix thoroughly.
5. Make into burger patties or roasts/loaves.
TIP-when shaping burgers or roasts dip your hands into warm water.
For BURGER PATTIES
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Put a teaspoon of olive oil in fry pan on medium high heat, fry burgers for at least 10 minutes browning them on each side.


Put  roasting pan into the oven, add 1 inch of boiling water. Put rack on top covered with foil, spray or brush with oil. Put the browned loaves on top . Cook for 1 hr.
OR- Put in microwave covered on HIGH for 3 minutes.
This ensures that the flour is cooked through.
FOR ROASTS/LOAVES:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil some water.
Shape into 3 loaves. Brown in skillet on all sides using some olive oil.

Put the roaster pan into the oven, add 1 inch of boiling water. Put rack on top covered with foil, spray or brush with oil. Put the browned loaves on top. Cook for 1 hr.


These burgers or the roast have a nice crunchy outside, are moist and full of flavour on the inside.
I made a burger with lettuce and tomatoe and a little mustard. MMMMMmmmmmm!!

I plan to have the roast with a simple gravy, steamed broccoli, cauliflower, mini red potatoes and baby carrots with melted cheddar Tofutti sauce. I'm going to make a pumpkin custard (of course vegan) for dessert. I'm working on a Fall Harvest Machine Bread that would compliment this meal. I'll post it as soon as I've got the kinks worked out.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!!

No comments: