I invite you to come on my journey as I develop my vegan dietary lifestyle.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Vegan Black Bean Burger

I was cruising the web for a bean burger recipe and I happened on a youtube that Guy Fieri of the Food Network posted. He was at the Blue Plate Diner  in Salt Lake City. In the video  the chef gives a list of the ingredients that goes into the vegan bean burger. Naturally, there was no mention of quantities. But never the less I decided to try to make these burgers.
This is the recipe I came up with:


Vegan Black Bean Burgers (Inspired by the Blue Plate Diner in Salt Lake City)


1 can black beans-540 mls/19 fl oz-rinsed and drained
1 can chick peas-540 mls/19 fl oz-rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups cooked and cooled oatmeal
3 cups panko crumbs
½ cup finely chopped onion-about 1 small onion
½ cup finely chopped celery-about 3 large ribs
1 tablespoon Montreal Steak Spice
2 tablespoons  flour

INSTRUCTIONS
1-In a food processor (I used my Vita Mix) puree  ½ cup water with black beans and chick peas. This will be very thick.
2-In a mixing bowl put panko crumbs, bean puree, cooled oatmeal, onion, celery, steak spice and flour. You can use your hands or a food processor. The mixture is sticky-if using your hands to shape the patties, put your hands in a bowl of clean warm water.
3-Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium high heat, use a tsp of olive oil and fry for 10 minutes on each side.
4-Makes 6 large burgers or 8 medium size.

They tasted great on a kaiser roll with tomatoes, lettuce and mustard. A good basic bean burger that will support added flavours.

This has given me an idea-I have Rachel Ray's Big Orange Recipe Book in which she has a number of tasty burger recipes. I think I'm going to try to veganize them.



No comments: