I invite you to come on my journey as I develop my vegan dietary lifestyle.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Machine Vegan White Bread

I've been trying to find a bread recipe that both my husband(omnivore) and myself would like. He REALLY enjoys the fluffy super soft commercially made bread. With some poking around I found "Gary's Vegan Bread" recipe on vegweb.com . It sounded pretty good, it used banana as the sugar source. But my husband only likes real bananas, not baked goods with banana flavour. The following is my adaptation. 


Machine Vegan White Bread

Wet Ingredients:
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or any other light flavoured oil such as canola)
1 3/4 cups warm water
¼ cup warm water-add only if necessary during mixing cycle-scrape bowl with spatula as bread mixes dribble water in a little at a time

Dry Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups unbleached white flour    
2 heaping tablespoons ground flaxseed-use spice mill if you have whole flax seed
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup soy milk powder
2 teaspoons salt
¼ cup vital wheat gluten

1 pkg active bread yeast = 8 grams
 
This is a bread machine recipe. Makes 1 -  1.5 pound loaf.

1) Mix warm water and oil, put in bread bread machine bowl.
2) Measure dry ingredients(NOT Yeast) into a separate bowl. Blend together, then put on top of wet ingredients.
3) Put yeast on top of the dry ingredients in the bread machine bowl.
4) Set the machine to bake on a light coloured crust

Here it is. The texture was light, the crust a little crunchy! Don't mind the dent, it had a little accident on the way out of the pan.
Best of all my husband declared that it tasted good! And actually asked for more.

No comments: