I invite you to come on my journey as I develop my vegan dietary lifestyle.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Vegan Raisin Bread

We had a great time at the Zurich Bean Festival-we did well with sales. Lots of interesting people passed through our booth. I'm always very happy and thankful when my husband's oak wood products sell. He puts so much work into them-even professionally finishing them.
I needed to make some bread Sunday. After making my Machine Vegan White Bread-I was inspired to try to make it into a Raisin Bread.
The "Everything Nice Premium Baking Spice" blend I received from www.theepicentre.com would be just right to try making the raisin bread with.
I've updated the Machine Vegan White Bread recipe. I also suspected I would need to increase the vital wheat gluten to support the increased volume and weight of the ingredients. It smelled awesome while it baked.




Machine Vegan Raisin Bread with “Everything Nice” Spice Blend

Wet Ingredients:
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or any other light flavoured oil such as canola)
1 3/4 cups warm water
¼ cup warm water-add only if necessary during mixing cycle-scrape bowl with spatula as bread mixes dribble water in a little at a time

Dry Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups unbleached white wheat flour    
2 heaping tablespoons ground flaxseed-use spice mill if you have whole flax seed
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup “sweetener” or sugar
¼ cup soy milk powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 TBSP “Everything Nice Premium Baking Spice” blend from http://www.theepicentre.com/ (or use 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon,1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp allspice)                                                    
½ cup  vital wheat gluten
1 pkg active bread yeast = 8 grams
1 cup of raisins-best to use smaller raisins or chop jumbo raisins into smaller pieces
 
This is a bread machine recipe. Makes 1 - 1.5 pound loaf.

1) Mix warm water and oil, put in bread bread machine bowl.
2) Measure dry ingredients(NOT Yeast) into a separate bowl. Blend together, then put on top of wet ingredients.
3) Put yeast on top of the dry ingredients in the bread machine bowl.
4) Add the raisins when your machine indicates or the manufacturer instructions suggest.
5) Set the machine to bake on a light coloured crust.



Next time I'm going to chop up the jumbo raisins. 
Monday morning breakfast was a slice of the raisin bread with Ontario peaches and tea. It tasted even better when toasted with vegan margarine.











No comments: