I invite you to come on my journey as I develop my vegan dietary lifestyle.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Using Good Fats

Although I'm trying to reduce the fat in recipes, by its very nature the vegan diet already does that. Animal fats are usually not good fats for the body. Many "Good" fats such as Omega 3, 6 & 9 can be obtained from seed, nut and some from fruit oils.  Flax seed Oil  is one of my favourites, full of Omega 3, 6 & 9. Another favourite is Grape seed oil . I also use Olive Oil, which has its' own benefits. Using these oils appropriately in recipes has already lowered my cholesterol count along with the vegan dietary changes.
Fats are not all bad, but we do need to be aware of the types and kind that we ingest in our foods.
Knowing which fats are Saturated Fats or Hydrogenated Fats can help us make wise food choices.

No comments: